01 August 2012

slower, summer

.




For the Fourth of July we traveled to North Carolina, where we feasted on the best burgers and sat in the woods behind my favorite coffee shop, surrounded by whispering trees that sounded like the sea. There was a giant potluck cookout with our best friends, and two straight days of playing rummy, and grilled hot dogs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The weekend was a rare treat in that it felt like real summer, those lazy, sleepy days we haven't known since we were kids (and Skyping the family dog felt like a valuable use of our time).

Then a week later my sister visited me in New York, and though we kept ourselves busy (mostly by running from one food destination to another — Guinness milkshakes again!), her stay was full of such leisurely moments that I didn't feel scattered at all. We split a slice of apple pie in Katz's Deli, sitting right at Harry and Sally's table. We contemplated Vincent's thick brushstrokes, wishing we could touch them. We picnicked in Central Park (I napped, she sketched). And finally, a dream came true: cream tea in the Village. We drank a pot each, willing the afternoon to go by just a little bit slower.

.

5 comments:

  1. These images do have this cosy, introspective and deliciously lazy tone to them. I'd like to sink into them, like crawling into bed. Or maybe, I'd just like to enjoy this type of summer with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skyping the family dog! That is too cute! My Mum used to get me to talk to our old dog on the phone, which was a bit embarrassing if there were other people round.

    It looks like you've had some lovely summer adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, you get to spend time with your sister. Enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hila - Thanks for the comment, it made my day. :) Maybe this winter I can try to sink back into these pictures, too, fondly remembering these sultry lazy days.

    Hannah - Haha, did your dog "talk" back?? That is too cute. I don't know if ours even realized we were there, haha, but it was good to "see" her :)

    Quay Po - I know, I love whenever I'm able to see my family! And thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think you have captured summer so perfectly in these pictures! (and whoever's blue polka-dot skirt that is, I covet!

    ReplyDelete