29 August 2012

berkeley

.




Last time was for San Francisco, this time was for Berkeley.

I wish I could have taken a picture of every single house we saw. Never has architecture made my brain buzz like this. Never have I seen so many paint colors, so much flora. Every kind of flower you could imagine, blooming, year-round — it's dazzling.

I wish I could capture the simple euphoria of tucking into roasted corn pizza and cold Orangina after a seven-mile trek. Or the head-ringing rush of the Campanile tower top when the clock struck four. Or the tingly fear of scrambling over Indian Rock, so we could sit quietly side by side and look out at the Bay.

We had d'affinois cheese and Vinho Verde and that monstrosity you see above is the "meat and potatoes cake" the birthday boy made for dinner. So many silly times, balanced by damp-induced allergies and a bad combination of Benadryl and wine. Oops. This was my weekend.

Berkeley has cast a spell on me. Something about the color of twilight on Solano Ave, held in my mind like a jewel, will always remind me of what it is like to be happy.

.

6 comments:

  1. This all sounds so wonderful, even the benadryl and wine combo, haha! My friend introduced me to d'affinois cheese and now I am obsessed! Also feeling quite obsessed by that corn and cheese pizza *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. vvvv - Me tooo can't get enough!

    Hannah - Hahaha, if "wonderful" is being unable to keep your eyes open on your last night in CA...oh wells. I am in LOVE with d'affinois too - it's like brie but more creamy and buttery...and the pizza was too good. Corn, feta, cilantro, lime, mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something about these photos reminds me of Australia - or at least, Western Australia. The style of the houses and the landscape just look familiar. Berkeley is most definitely on my travel list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hila - Oh really? Then Western Australia just moved higher on my travel list, too. I just love that type of atmosphere. The whole Bay area is really beautiful, I know you'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food looks delicious!!

    http://nadiadelacorazon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete