22 April 2012

mix no. 12

.




Well hello, friends. I hope you're excited, because it's time for my mix magnum opus: a harpsichord mix!

In case you haven't heard of the harpsichord, here's the most succinct way I can think to describe it: You know that instrument they play in movies when things are getting real bougie real fast, Marie Antoinette style? Yeah, that's the one.

But while it was the forte of classical greats like Bach and Georg Philipp Telemann (thanks Dad!), the harpsichord also had a comeback in the 1960s, and has been making rock, baroque pop,  indie ditties, and even rap that much sweeter ever since.

I'm not sure what it is about the harpsichord that floats my boat, but whenever I hear its tinny strains on the radio, I have to grin. (And I notice it hardcore since putting this thing together, let me tell you. I only just realized last week that my favorite Cat Stevens song features the instrument at 2:34!)

It also seems like every great band ever has used the harpsichord at some point, as visible from the eclectic list below (and including several artists not featured here: The Beatles, Tori Amos, Marianne Faithfull, Donovan, The Decemberists...) Maybe after giving this mix a try — if you haven't overdosed on harpsichord, which is highly possible, haha —  you'll start to appreciate and notice its awesome influence as well.




Tracklist:

01.  Clover Over Dover - Blur 
02.  Ottoman - Vampire Weekend
03.  Waiting for the Moon to Rise - Belle and Sebastian
04.  Walk Away Renee - The Left Banke
05.  Golden Brown - The Stranglers
06.  (We've Got) Honey Love - The Velvelettes
07.  Village Green - The Kinks
08.  Take Care - Beach House
09.  I Wanna Be Where You Are - Michael Jackson
10.  Half A World Away - R.E.M.
11.  Monday, Monday - The Mamas and The Papas
12.  Peach, Plum, Pear - Joanna Newsom
13.  Ride Easy - Asia
14.  I've Got Something On My Mind - The Left Banke
15.  Wintertime Love - The Doors
16.  Horse and I - Bat for Lashes
17.  Sugar Town - Nancy Sinatra
18.  Biggest Fan - Brendan Benson
19.  Rosemary Rose - The Kinks
20.  For Your Love - The Yardbirds
21.  Too Afraid to Love You - The Black Keys
22.  Teardrop - Massive Attack
23.  I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family
24.  Time Of Your Song - Matisyahu
25.  Leaves That Are Green - Simon and Garfunkel
26.  The Model - Belle and Sebastian
27.  We Live Again - Beck
28.  When I Grow Up To Be A Man - The Beach Boys
29.  Play With Fire - The Rolling Stones
30.  I Want Her She Wants Me - The Zombies
31.  M79 - Vampire Weekend
32.  Heaven Heath - Mellow Candle
33.  Polichinelle - France Gall
34.  Junk Bond Trader - Elliott Smith
35.  Everything Is Sunshine - The Hollies
36.  Hold Me - Fleetwood Mac
37.  Wet Sand - Red Hot Chili Peppers
38.  Black Cab - Jens Lekman


Original harpsichord image via here.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment