26 April 2012

a foodie post: birthday noms

.

 


I need to think of some new category for posts that are basically just snapshots from my wanderings. Yes, almost every single one involves food...because that's just the way my life goes...but I wouldn't qualify all of them as "foodie posts."

This one, however, features its fair share of eating. Particularly since my birthday would involve nothing less than exploring via the tastebuds.

March 24 was my golden birthday—and I couldn't have asked for a lovelier one.

There was bahn mi, followed by a concert. There was a Trader Joe's run and a night of cooking.

There was a magical day that involved pie for breakfast, blood orange donuts on the ferry, finding British treats, eating sliders and Guinness milkshakes (omg), and traipsing to bars that featured free popcorn and board games galore.

Sunday we made stuffed French toast, saw a tween-filled Hunger Games (maybe a matinee wasn't the best idea), and feasted at Calexico (cilantro fries with crack sauce and you can't go wrong).

Oh yeah. And we bought birthday cake-flavored Oreos. A fitting discovery!

I am so grateful to the kind friends who took me out, meeting me for both beers and quesadillas — and for a  sweet-as-pie significant other who flew across the country to see me. I feel very fortunate to have had an excuse to celebrate with people I love, to escape the real world for a little while, to splurge on groceries and good cheese, to revel in the little delights and discoveries a new city can hold.





.

3 comments:

  1. Marmite Crisps?! Guinnes Milkshakes?! Birthday Cake Oreos?! All these noms are making my head explode!

    Happy Belated Birthday, it sounds like you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome birthday! I don't know how I feel about birthday cake flavored oreos, but they do look pretty delicious.
    Also, I love the photograph of the lovely lady and the card wall.
    Anyway, happy belated birthday!
    Scout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete