28 March 2012

trivia

.



Sometimes while Wikipedia-hopping, I'll come across such mind-boggling factoids. Or at least they're fascinating to me...little connections between celebrities, truths about the world I never knew...tossed in like miscellaneous fodder at the ends of articles. Well, no more! I want to start remembering them, and even if I never go on Jeopardy!, maybe these bits of trivia will have some use by brightening your day, too.


  • Billie Holiday occasionally babysat Billy Crystal when he was a little boy.
  • The "walk this way!" gag from Young Frankenstein inspired the Aerosmith song of the same name.
  • The lead singer of the Dire Straits wrote The Princess Bride soundtrack.
  • In the 1910s and 1920s, "jelly-bean" was a slang term for "dandy."
  • I guess I'm just not up on my Stephen King, but I didn't realize how many popular, non-horror films were based on his works: Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis.
  • Swans, along with various other animals, often mate for life. I know I shouldn't romanticize or anthropomorphize them, but I can't help finding it sweet, hopeful, wondering what it is that makes swans choose each other forever.


Photo credit: Swan mates by Adam Sharp.
.

2 comments:

  1. you're not up on your stephen king? how dare you sally, how dare you!?! hahaha. as someone who lives like 10 minutes away from one of his houses, i am WAY up on my stephen king. so up on my stephen king that my life is ten times more horrifying than it needs to be. so many of his books literally take place where i live, it's no wonder i have a hard time falling asleep at night.

    the novellas stand by me and the shawshank redemption are based on are super-good. i also really love the green mile (which was -factoid - originally published in six separate volumes). i haven't read hearts in atlantis yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know Mallory!! Especially because I find him fascinating and have read so much about him...I just haven't read any of his actual books. I'm too scared! ...of being scared!

    ReplyDelete