10 November 2011

horchata rice krispy treats

.




As you may have noticed, I often bake sweets that are really just two desserts rolled into one. (I'm a multitasker like that.) I may have also mentioned my fondness for horchata, a refreshing Mexican drink usually made from rice milk, raw sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. I guess you could say it tastes a bit like liquid rice pudding....mmhmm.

Well, one day I decided to make Horchata Rice Krispy Treats. Hey, the cereal is made from rice too...let's call these Rice Squared Squares. Eh?

These were pretty good, if pretty dang sweet....but they got the roommate seal of approval! I can also see them working well with eggnog instead of horchata come wintertime, ooh. Hooray for cooking experiments on quiet mornings.






Horchata Rice Krispy Treats 

(Makes about 24 bars)

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter or margarine
10 ounces (1 package) large marshmallows, or 4 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup horchata (you can make your own at home if you so desire!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
12 ounces (1 box) crispy rice cereal

Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Over low heat, melt the butter or margarine. Add the marshmallows and stir occasionally until totally melted and combined. Remove from heat. Add horchata, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in cereal, making sure to coat well. Spread mixture in pan; let harden in fridge or freezer.

.

2 comments:

  1. I love Horchata! So this is pretty amazing :) I'm glad that I've found your pretty blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Yay horchata!

    ReplyDelete