28 August 2011

once upon a dream

.




The most recent issue of Lula featured a nice article on Mary Blair's work in Disneyland. Reminded of how much I love her, I found myself digging around for more vintage Disney concept art. That's how I found the work of Eyvind Earle, who's best known as the backdrop painter and color stylist for Sleeping Beauty  (probably my favorite Disney cartoon aesthetic-wise).

Here is some of his concept art for the film:






I also couldn't resist posting more of Mary Blair's art:



 



And finally, one perfectly beautiful painting by John Hench.






Image sources:
1  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6  //  7  //  8

A good tumblr:

.

2 comments:

  1. These are so stunning. I recently watched the Disney documentary, Waking Sleeping Beauty, and was reminded of the artistry of the early films. I wasn't familiar with Eyvind Earle, but now I'm officially a fan. This concept work is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I had not heard of that documentary! Def checking it out now, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete