29 July 2011

vintage vendredi: dream pets

.
A few years ago I saw a cute, retro-looking stuffed animal in a local gift shop. Her tag said she was Lucy the Lamb, a "Dream Pet," so when I got home I looked up the origins of the brand.

In 1957, a toy company called R. Dakin & Co. was searching for a way to protect their miniature trains when shipping them overseas. Instead of using boring packaging materials, they began producing small stuffed animals made of velveteen and sawdust to put in their boxes. In time, these Dream Pets became more popular than the trains! (Some call them the precursor to Beanie Babies.) By the end of the 1970s, there were over 200 collectible characters.

I love them all, with their interesting colored coats, long eyelashes, and decidedly geometric, mid-century feel. I wish I had my own collection of Dream Pets!




Image source:  the dream pets flickr group.
.

6 comments:

  1. How adorable! Stuff animals have and continue to be the best presents. haha I'm such a child but how could you not! love your blog, you take lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you so much! You just made my day. :)

    And I agree. I STILL have my favorite stuffed animals, and even find it hard to resist buying them...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "little" brother, who incidentally turned 23 today, had a velveteen dragon that he named "Puff", that looks so much like these cuties - but came much later. Its the only stuffed animal he still has, and it now sits on a shelf in his 6 month old daughter's nursery. Such a cute post - the one in the middle has me absolutely smitten. Joyeaux Vendredi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gah! i wish i had a collection of these merry guys too. so bright & quirky & adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. possibly the cutest stuffed animals ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - What a cute story! I hope my stuffed animals last that long :)

    Mallory and Ella - Yes!!

    ReplyDelete