20 July 2011

a (fourth of july) foodie post

.




A little belated post on my last trip home to Virginia, and some new experiences:


- Swimming in a fast-moving, rock-bottomed river. Getting my first tan lines in years (I am teh pale).
- Playing with "poppers" instead of real fireworks (it rained).
- Realizing juicy beef hot dogs on the grill are my ultimate summer indulgence.
- Fresh, homemade pesto from my parents' herb garden.
- Making my very first rosemary-garlic foccacia!
- Swimming yet again, this time in a lake, with family.
- Zuchinni and squash also seared on the grill, sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- Blueberry picking at last! It is much easier on the back than strawberry picking. I was amazed that these berries were pink on the vine, not green.


And then back in NC, baking ensued...



 


1)  Dawn's recipe for quadruple-crust, blueberry almond pie:






Look at those four layers of crust! With almond paste sandwiched in between!

I really, really loved this pie. That almond adds a certain je ne sais pas, and I don't even like marzipan-type things. (Cook's note:  I added about twice as much sugar as Dawn did. Hehe.)






Homemade pie and vanilla ice cream make some lovely, messy colors together, don't they?

I was never one for à la Mode anything as a kid, but blueberry pie was always the exception. I just want to drink that melty blueberry / ice cream juice.


2)  A creative use for some leftover pesto my mama gave me:  Pesto-Alfredo Mushroom & Chicken Lasagna.





(How to:

Grease a 9x13 pan with a bit of olive oil. Layer:

- lasagna noodles
- pesto
- sliced mushrooms
- shredded cheese
- salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
- lasagna noodles
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- grilled chicken strips
- alfredo sauce
- salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

...and repeat one more time. Top with noodles, a thin coating of pesto, and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until gooey.

SUPER rich, but yum. It was all I craved for a week; even my cinnamon buns waited by the wayside for a while. Blasphemy.)






3)  A picnic and panzanella. Possibly the prettiest salad I've ever made.


Not pictured:

4) Orange ricotta pound cake

(based on this recipe, but I subbed 1 tsp lemon extract and 1 tsp orange extract for the zested lemons. I had to use bread flour and it came out fine. Don't let the increasingly browned top scare you - I frustratedly had to wait to take it out until the knife was crumby but clean, but it was the most moist pound cake I've ever made!)

5)  CHAI cinnamon rolls.  (recipe to come!)


(...Since I'm officially moving in two weeks at this point, I'm trying to use up all the ingredients in our pantry like crazy. It's been fun times.)

.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I love your foodie posts. I might have to give that lasgane recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks!! Let me know how it works out if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your move!

    That pie is CRAZY! Four crusts?! That's amazing.

    Your lasagna sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete