04 June 2011

moving

.
Hnnnngggghhhh.

I lived in my previous apartment for two years. Moving out of there was almost fun. I love a good purge now and again, and of course the chance to decorate an entirely new space can be exciting.

But while I've been in this apartment for one year, it only just now feels like my bedroom and kitchen are coming together. Yet it's time to move again. For a summer sublet only. Before moving to New York. Which means it's time for the biggest belongings purge my life has yet seen.

Man, I can't even throw away birthday cards without paroxysms of guilt. This is calling for a major override of my personality, and it's tough  because I'm sentimental and really do enjoy reading things like notes and journals years later. Plus, I'm ideologically torn. Browsing design blogs inspires me to carefully collect and curate meaningful objects over time instead of buying flimsy trendy decor. But my mom's been giving me a talking-to about being materialistic, adding even more guilt to the stack. And I also understand that to be unburdened by "things" is to be free to flee, to travel. It allows room for one to cherish the  more important things in life....

Sigh. Sorry if it's grumpy around here for the next few days.

Goodbye little home....




.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your move, I know how hard it can be, moving is such a nightmare! Though it sounds like you will end up somewhere exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah. Packing was pretty torturous, but the move went surprisingly well despite the heat! Moved everything in one go with just two people. To the third floor. Felt pretty beastly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is kind of the worst. I love your cute vintage pillowcases. What a great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much!! That makes me happy since they really are my obsession, haha. Someday I'll have to post a picture of the whole collection.

    ReplyDelete