19 May 2011

paul and martha

.
.


Celebrities and dogs bonus post:  Paul McCartney and his beloved sheepdog, Martha.


One of the first things Paul did on moving in was buy an Old English sheepdog puppy. He called her Martha, and she became the inspiration for one of Paul's best-loved songs.
[...] The dog was like a huge tangled ball of wool and kept bumping into things because her hair covered her eyes until they tied it up in ribbon. Paul: "She was a dear pet of mine. I remember John being amazed to see me being so loving to an animal. He said, 'I've never seen you like that before.' I've since thought, you know, he wouldn't have. It's only when you're cuddling around with a dog that you're in that mode, and she was a very cuddly dog."

-- Excerpt from Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now by Barry Miles



.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I want a dog like Martha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shaggy dogs, they're always so clumsy and adorable :)

    I'd have to agree with the excerpt: I only get smoochy and cuddly with my cat (and it's the only time I allow myself to slide in baby-talk).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, I do too. I used to have downstairs neighbors who owned a sheepdog even bigger than Martha. Whenever we heard them shouting "Georgie! Georgie!" we'd run to our window and watch him loping around the lawn. So adorable. I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes me a medium-to-large-dog person. Probably because they're often so mellow and sweet.

    Hila, I talk to pets / animals at the shelter as if they're real people. Is that better or worse than babytalk?? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my most favorite songs. :) Love.
    Martha is so cute!

    Hold your head up you silly girl... look what you've done.

    ReplyDelete