17 May 2011

dalí in wonderland

.
A few years ago, I went to the Dalí Universe museum (which is apparently moving to Venice now). It was full of crazy bronze pieces, eerie glass sculptures, slow-playing films and glow-in-the-dark Dalí quotes lining the labyrinthine halls. But funnily enough, I was most intrigued by the smaller, quieter pieces in the exhibit, all framed along a back wall.

I had been unaware that Dalí made several lithograph collections inspired by famous literary works. I saw thirteen Alice in Wonderland illustrations that Dalí created in 1969. I also saw a Romeo and Juliet series, about which I can find next to no information. Both sets utterly captivated me. The vivid images set against stark white seem so different from Dalí's best-known paintings. The nearly frenetic strokes and splatters contrast with softly bleeding colors to create a dynamic living picture. Their dreamy layered quality really speaks to the emotional heart of these stories, telling them truly with nary a written word.

Apparently Dalí has also illustrated Tristan and Isolde, Don Quixote, Macbeth, and other tales. I wish I could find more information about these works, and that they weren't so rare (otherwise you know their prints would be all over my walls).





(Notice the girl jumping rope in each picture? She's part of the same motif as Dalí's famous Alice sculpture.)

Romeo and Juliet:



.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these pieces! Dali is one of my favorite artist and I am quite pleased to have come across your blog. It is a shame that so much of his art is not shown the way larger pieces are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much! :) I agree wholeheartedly, and am left wondering how many pieces by great artists are still out there, under the radar...

    ReplyDelete