02 March 2011

spinach and feta farfalle

.























Now, this isn't the healthiest dish, nor is it complicated (I feel kind of bad even calling this a recipe!). But hey, simple is good, and if I've loved it enough to eat it for the past two weeks straight, I figured you might enjoy it too.

The meal consists of hot, chewy farfalle (butterfly noodles, bowtie pasta, wha-eva), stirred together with melty butter, olive oil, garlic, parmasan, and salty feta cheese, all while the pasta is piping hot so the cheese and oils meld into a delectable sauce. The feta won't melt, but it's made creamy by the heat, giving this dish, in my opinion, the same level of comfort as mac and cheese.

I also added steamed spinach, for a much-needed pop of rich savory green.

























As much as you might want to, try not to skimp on the butter....I've made this pasta with just olive oil before, and it was just not the same!

I'm sure other additions can also be made:  Roma tomatoes, heated lightly with the spinach so they're wrinkly and juicy;  fresh basil leaves;  roasted and minced garlic.

But embarrasingly, I'm scared to change anything about the balance of this delicate dish, since I'm so obsessed with it as is. So let me know if you give it a try or add something new!!





Spinach and Feta Farfalle

(Serves 2-3.)

2 cups uncooked farfalle
2-3 generous cups of fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 oz feta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat about 1 cm worth of water in a medium saucepan until boiling. Reduce heat, then add the spinach and cover pot. Steam for a few minutes, checking often, until spinach looks cooked to your liking. Drain water and set aside.

When pasta is finished boiling, also drain (but do not rinse). Return pasta to pot, and add steamed spinach to the pasta. Immediately stir in the butter, olive oil, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Add more of the garlic powder, either cheese, or salt and pepper according to personal taste. Serve hot or cold.

Enjoy!
.

2 comments:

  1. So often I find that my favorite recipes end up being the ones that are so simple you think "Why didn't I think of that?" They often end up being the most elegant. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly it! And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete