21 March 2011

wanderlusting after.... andalucía

.


Right now I'm dreaming of Andalusia, the southernmost region of Spain. The community has its own distinct flavor and culture, and it's home to lovely provinces like Seville, Córdoba, Málaga, and Granada.

Don't get me wrong, I long to see all of España someday. I'm drawn to the hilly north, to the tiny churches where my ancestors lie, to where my mother tells me some red-haired Spaniards exemplify the country's Celtic roots. I've drooled over Barcelona's distinct art and architecture, and the stately capital Madrid. Ooh, and I should mention I'm obsessed with several Spanish artists.

But I've heard so much about Sevilla in particular. My mama lived there for a year when she was in college, and now my sister is studying there until June. I love hearing about where Spain and Africa practically kiss at the Strait of Gibraltar. I'm jealous of the Spanish daily timeframe, with its mandatory siestas and 9:00 dinnertime. And don't get me started on the food and drink (tapas!).

Finally, I cultivated an intense passion for the Alhambra thanks to an amazing course on Islamic art I took. I can only dream of standing in the Hall of the Two Sisters, staring into the honeycombed depths of the dome and pondering the talent of humankind. Islamic influence on Spanish art, architecture and even language is so fascinating. I'd like to mosey through the red-striped arches of the Mosque of Córdoba as well.

But enough romanticizing. See the pictures for yourself! This one's for you, sis, I miss you!



 

(the canyon of Ronda)


(Can you believe those are mountains in the distance and not clouds?)


















 
(churros y chocolate, oh my goodness yes.)


.

No comments:

Post a Comment