11 February 2011

vintage vendredi: valentines!


I'm not going to expound on Valentine's Day. I'm fanatical about moderation (ha), so we'll just say I'm both a cynic and a sap.

I will admit, however, that I occasionally get too excited by the pink pharmacy Valentine's displays. For some reason, I think V-Day has some of the best candy offerings of any season.

I mean, don't Reese's hearts and Little Debbie "Be My Valentine" cakes taste way better than their pointy Christmas Tree counterparts? Somehow?



via here
 

Well, they do to me!

I also happen to love vintage Valentines.



thecollectiblechest


It all began when I snagged some cute retro cards from Fred Flare a few years ago, figuring they'd be a nice departure from the Aladdin Valentines I once frequented at CVS.

I loved them! I loved that the variety allowed me to assign the perfect Valentine to each friend (perfect meaning they had to do with inside jokes, or just plain sounded dirty).


RomanceWriter


I didn't even think to look on Etsy until recently, and was surprised by the plethora of never-written-on, original vintage Valentines for sale. I especially love the '40s and '50s ones.


RomanceWriter
unicornkidsstudios


Cheesy puns, weird lines that don't make sense anymore, non-political-correctness and creepy children abound.

But most of them are still pretty darn cute.


starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
starmango
12bluebirds


Heh heh....okay okay, I'm done!

Look for vintage valentines on Etsy or elsewhere for an original (and heyyyy, eco-friendly) card option for yourself, your friends and your lovers. (Maybe for next Valentine's Day at this point, haha.)

If you want the convenience of a whole pack o' cards, here's the set I bought last year. They don't seem to be at Fred Flare anymore, but they're available on Amazon.


starmango


P.S.  Sorry some of these are already sold!  I started creating this post a few days ago.

3 comments:

  1. They're all so cute! The owl is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Love your comment about the cheesy puns, weird lines that don't make sense, non-political-correctness and creepy children - so true, and the reason why I love them so much!

    I did a Valentine's Day Etsy roundup too - its hands down the best resource for all things V-day. Too bad I wasn't on the ball enough to do anything for 2011 ... by the time I started thinking about it, it was too late to order anything. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Emily and Dear Frances! Haha yeah, I was a little late to the game this year as well....

    ReplyDelete