02 February 2011

etsy word of the day: mid-century




The term "mid-century modern" was first used in 1983 by Cara Greenberg, and usually describes innovations in design that occurred between the 1930s and the 1960s. Mid-century design is known for its simple clean lines, and its mixture of organic and geometric shapes. The movement fused form and function, creating livable yet visually appealing spaces from wood, metal and plastic. According to Casa Sugar, "Though color is used quite a bit in post-war design, mid-century modern is typically less cutesy than the more pop-art offerings of the later 1960s."

Etsy holds a wealth of mid-century furnishings and home decor....






There's enough splendor for anyone to recreate their very own Mad Men-esque world.



 
Luncheonettevintage



(Mad Men screencaps from here, edited by me.)


2 comments:

  1. Love. I see you like Mad Men as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, I do! Aside from the characters and show itself, I especially love the exquisite attention to historical detail. :)

    ReplyDelete